Come work with a great team! Diamond Healthcare, the manager of behavioral health services for MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, has an opening for a Clinical Nurse Educator.
This position functions within the roles of educator, facilitator, change agent/leader, consultant, researcher and quality and compliance. The Clinical Nurse Educator is responsible for assessment, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs that enhance performance, promote professional development or otherwise supports the mission and vision of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health. Responsibilities also include classroom and clinical teaching within the department or other affiliated partnerships with Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital Center (MSMHC).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates the clinical expertise, leadership, management, communication skills and knowledge of education theory and principles necessary to develop educational programs and achieve optimal educational outcomes.
- Designs, implements, and evaluates designated hospital based educational programs and consultative services. Assesses learning needs through formal and informal approaches to data collection to determine specific education needs. Utilizes teaching techniques that promote critical thinking and evidence based practice incorporating principles of adult learning theory. Identifies, coordinates and plans educational offerings with the Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON), with consideration of but not limited to mandatory regulations, safety, performance improvement, new equipment, technologies, and clinical advancements. Evaluates the effectiveness and learning outcomes of educational activities.
- Conducts classroom and/or clinical instruction. Teaches pertinent course material using lectures, demonstrations, class discussion and other appropriate modes of educational delivery. Leads and monitors classroom and/or clinical instruction to foster student development.
- Plans and conducts orientation of new nursing personnel that facilitates a new employee’s transition to the work environment and meets competency assessment requirements in conformance with departmental objectives and accreditation standards.
- Plans the orientation and Mandatory in-service for nursing personnel that will include all of the above plus Violence Prevention Management (VPM) Training.
- Facilitates team building within the Psychiatry/Behavioral Health department.
- In support of the Psychiatry and Behavioral Health department mission and vision, promotes an environment that embraces continuous learning and supports a framework of shared decision making.
- Actively mentors and supports colleagues and staff. Supports and encourages the professional development of nursing staff.
- Provides expertise for competency development and competence assessment across Psychiatry/Behavioral Health. Coaches and provides feedback to improve professional practice within MSMHC. Provides cost analysis on the benefits of any program, justifies budgetary needs, and monitors and submits reimbursement for costs incurred by education programs. Contributes to the preparation of annual departmental budgets.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the field of nursing practice, clinical instruction, and nursing education through a variety of professional activities including, but not limited to, reading the appropriate literature and attending related seminars and conferences. Pursues on an ongoing basis the continuance of scholarly growth. Engages in scholarly activity and makes results through available critical peer review and incident review.
- Serves as an expert resource to staff and managers regarding the education of individuals. Conducts needs assessment for individual or programmatic needs to improve nursing practice. Works collaboratively with ADON to design education programs to meet unit needs.
- Participates as staff development/education expert on committees, task forces, focus groups and projects to support Psychiatry/Behavioral Health and MSMHC initiatives. Collaborates within and across the organization to identify internal and external resources available for staff.
- Incorporates evidence into all staff development and clinical education activities.
- Active participant in research, EBP and/or performance improvement activities. Activities include, but are not limited to, supporting integration of research into practice, increasing staff knowledge and competence about research and EBP and/or active collaboration with research studies.
Quality and Compliance
- Conducts, collects and reports data for the quality dashboards.
- Ensures compliance with the State of Maryland and Federal regulatory agencies.
- Prepares the survey process for The Joint Commission.
- Ensures readiness for all Corporate, local and federal audits and surveys through medical record reviews, identification of deficiencies and written plans of correction.
- Initiates and monitors the quality initiatives.
- Reviews and revises policies and procedures, as needed.
- Monitors incident reporting internally and externally to agencies.
- Educates staff with regards to quality, risk management and regulatory compliance issues.
- Meets with Program Staff to ensure a systematic approach to identifying, prioritizing and assessing appropriate quality activities and interventions.
- Provides “Hands On” leadership in order to engage staff in quality/compliance efforts.
- Participates actively in Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital Center Quality meetings.
- Participates in maintaining records of mandatory in-services for all staff members; this includes Infection Control, Fire and Safety.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director of Nursing maintains and updates the Nursing policy and procedure Manual on a Yearly basis and when necessary.
- Any other duties as delegated by the Assistant Director of Nursing and Executive Director.