The Ambulatory Practice Clinic Manager (Outpatient Psychiatry) oversees administrative and clinical staff responsible for ensuring successful daily clinical operations. Responsible for optimal clinic throughput, patient scheduling and registration, billing processes, insurance authorizations, and implementation of MedStar policies and procedures. Responsible for clinical revenue cycle management, including cash collections, billing charge entry, and account reconciliation. Works closely with leadership to develop, implement, and sustain leading practice models for ambulatory operations, including training, planning, coordination of shared services, facility management, and general operations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the lead administrator responsible for managing successful day-to-day operations of the physician practice. Implements policies and procedures of physician practice management and operations in collaboration with physician and nursing leadership.
- Works with staff to ensure the smooth flow of patients through the practice(s) and all work is performed accurately and within specified time constraints. Implements and manages appropriate programs and services in keeping with the goals of the department.
- Oversees management of schedule templates for all providers. Ensures templates are organized so that patients are able to be scheduled immediately for urgent appointment requests, or within 3-5 days for less urgent requests.
- Works directly with provider team and scheduling team to optimize patient access. Ensures telephone management metrics are met.
- Responsible for maximizing professional revenue, to include insurance verification and eligibility, insurance authorizations, collection of payments, and reconciliation of charges. Educates staff and physicians as appropriate. Reports monthly statistics using established dashboard formats.
- Ensures all professional and hospital charges are captured correctly, in a timely manner. Reconciles all charges to ensure timely submission. Reports key metrics monthly.
- Ensures patient registration is in compliance with all Hospital and Medicare/Medicaid regulations/policies as well as all applicable federal and local laws. Updates/trains staff on changes as necessary developing/implementing new practice polices/procedures as necessary at all practice locations.
- Works with a variety of internal and external customers to ensure the delivery of high quality care with excellence in clinical outcomes and customer satisfaction. Responds to internal and external customers needs through patient care follow –up, referral patterns, education and service.
- Interviews, hires, and evaluates the performance of staff in collaboration with the nursing leader, and when necessary, disciplines and discharges. Develops performance evaluation standards and objectives and monitors and evaluates staff performance. Assigns duties and responsibilities in conjunction with physician leaders. Ensures training and development of staff, approves personnel actions, and resolves staff grievances to ensure compliance with Hospital and contractual stipulations.
- Leads the practice in managing formal ambulatory performance improvement initiatives. Prepares reports of successful practice indicators for review. Prepares and/or assists in preparation of administrative policies and procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Implements best practice models for ambulatory practice management, including training, planning, coordination of shared services, facility management, and general operations.
- Works with ancillary and professional service leaders to ensure optimal service delivery within the practice and the services meet regulatory and other standards.
- Functions as management lead to track financial activity and transfers of funds between MWHC and other MedStar entities in support of regional program activities.
- Other duties as assigned.